Persons or business entities desiring to do business in Pennsylvania may apply to the Secretary of the Commonwealth for authority to conduct business, incorporate, or file an assumed or fictitious name. Through the Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations, the Secretary of the Commonwealth files documents evidencing various kinds of business registrations. The bureau may assist with the registration of businesses or in obtaining information on existing businesses. For other information about starting or expanding a business in Pennsylvania, you may contact the Department of Community and Economic Development.

The bureau cannot offer legal advice, nor does it have investigative, enforcement or legislative powers. Inquiries about the applicability or interpretation of state law exceed the scope of our authority in this office. For answers to such questions, you should speak or consult with an attorney. If you do not know of an attorney, the Pennsylvania Bar Association offers a free referral service.

Our bureau does not have information concerning whether an entity is bankrupt, active, solvent, reputable, legitimate or in operation; nor can we provide financial or insurance information concerning companies. Information concerning complaints pending against businesses may be obtained from the Better Business Bureau, the Office of Attorney General or your local District Attorney's Office.

Credit ratings may be obtained from credit bureaus. The value of stock, number or classification of shares authorized or issued, or director information may be obtained through the business itself or may be verified with a stockbroker, if publicly traded.

Business phone numbers are available from directory assistance.

Social Security numbers, officers' addresses and bylaws are only available directly from the business entity. Information on subsidiaries, division or franchises of an entity should be verified through the business.

Corporate seals and minute books may be purchased from an office supply store.

We do not require annual reports for most filings. They are required by nonprofit corporations annually when the officers have changed. They are also required to be filed by all limited liability partnerships, domestic and foreign, and by restricted professional limited liability companies, domestic and foreign.

General tax information and corporate box numbers may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue at (717) 787-1064. Specific tax questions may also be directed to the Department of Revenue or your accountant. If you need assistance in locating a tax professional in your area, the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA) offers a free referral service.

We do not establish Subchapter S corporations or C corporations. Such designations are given by the Department of Revenue at (717) 783-6035.

Business corporations may change their officers by obtaining a REV-1605 CT form from the PA Department of Revenue by calling (800) 362-2050. The completed form should be mailed to the PA DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE, DEPT 280430, HARRISBURG, PA 17128-0430.

Businesses are not indexed in our database by type, tax or federal Employer Identification Numbers, Standard Industrial Code (SIC), purpose or business address. Our entity number serves only as our internal file number. Employer Identification Numbers (EIN) may be obtained from the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829-1040.

Modified Date: 12/03/2009 03:41 PM