TGIF and Welcome to Memorial Day Weekend!
Memorial Day weekend is unofficially the kick-off to summer and a time when many are taking time off from work – relaxing, hanging out with family and friends, and hosting cookouts and barbeques. The Department of Health wants you to have a healthy and safe holiday weekend. We recommend following the tips listed below to help keep you and your family guests safe from foodborne illnesses:
· Always wash your hands often and thoroughly, especially after touching surfaces, utensils, and raw or undercooked foods.
· Keep cold foods cold and hot foods hot.
· Don’t eat foods that have been in the danger zone – between 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
· Don’t guess at whether or not food is properly cooked; use a food thermometer.
· Place salad dishes on ice bins or in a cooler.
· Refrigerate any leftovers immediately.
· Never leave food at room temperature for more than two hours.
For more food safety tips, visit http://www.cdc.gov/Features/MovingOutdoors/.