Consumer Services Online: Frequently Asked Questions
What is Consumer Services Online (CSO)?
CSO allows you to electronically ask a question or file a complaint with the Insurance Department. Using CSO, you can:
· Create a user account to submit a complaint against an insurance company.
· Upload documents to support your complaint.
· Communicate online with the Bureau of Consumer Services staff assigned to your complaint.
· View documents uploaded by the staff member assigned to your complaint.
· Ask a general insurance question and receive a response from a staff member.
· Maintain a history of your filed complaints and questions.
What do I need to create an account with CSO?
You must have a valid e-mail address to access CSO. This e-mail address is used by CSO to communicate with you about your complaint or question, so it’s important to use an e-mail address that is not likely to change. The e-mail address field is case sensitive, so each time you log in to CSO, you must enter your e-mail address exactly as you did when you completed your initial account registration.
How will I know my complaint was received by the Insurance Department, and how do I correspond with the department on a submitted complaint?
When you are finished submitting your complaint, and any supporting documents, you should immediately see a message on the page that says “Your complaint has been successfully submitted”. You will also see a complaint ID number. Keep this number handy. It is your receipt that the department received your complaint. Reference this number when communicating with the department or submitting documentation on your complaint. Please DO NOT submit multiple complaints on the same issues. Lastly, you will receive a confirmation e-mail to the address you provided.
Will the department keep me updated on the status of my complaint?
When there is an update to your complaint, an e-mail will be sent to you, using the e-mail account we have on file. An e-mail will be generated for the following events and activities:
· When a complaint file is successfully set up using CSO.
· If the bureau staff posts a comment to your account.
· If the bureau staff uploads an electronic document to your file.
I submitted a complaint using CSO but have not received an e-mail. What’s wrong?
If you have not received an e-mail from us, here are some troubleshooting tips:
· Check your spam filter. Our e-mail may have wound up there.
· Using the e-mail address and password you established, log in to CSO and check that your complaint is listed. If you still have questions, call us at 1-877-881-6388 and press 3 to speak to bureau staff.
How do I send additional documentation for my complaint?
There are three ways to provide supporting documents:
· Upload your documents to the appropriate complaint ID number. This option is available only if you filed your complaint using CSO.
· Fax your documents to (717) 787-8585 and reference the proper complaint ID number on your fax cover sheet.
· Mail your documents to: Pennsylvania Insurance Department, Bureau of Consumer Services, 1209 Strawberry Square, Harrisburg, PA 17120 and reference the proper complaint ID number.
I forgot my password. What do I do?
There is a link on the CSO log-in page that allows you to reset your password. You will receive an e-mail with instructions. You must complete this process within 30 minutes or the system will “time out” and you will need to start over.
What is the password format?
The password requirements are as follows:
· Must be at least 8 characters.
· Must have at least 1 lowercase and 1 uppercase character.
· Must have at least 1 number.
How do I access my CSO account?
There are a number of ways to access the CSO account you created. The most familiar way is to return to the CSO in the same manner you did when you first filed your question or complaint. You will be asked to enter the email address and password you used to establish your account. Additionally, from the Insurance Department’s homepage (www.insurance.pa.gov) click on ONLINE SERVICES drop down at the top of the page just to the left of the “search PA box”. Then select “more services”, CITIZEN SERVICES, and Insurance Complaints.
My e-mail address has changed since creating my CSO account and I have an open case with the department. What do I do?
Call us at 1-877-881-6388 and press 3 to speak with a member of our staff who will assist with this change.
The information contained in my CSO account, other than my email address, has changed and I have an open complaint. What should I do?
You are able to change most of your account information on the CSO; however, the bureau staff is not automatically notified when you make changes. To notify staff that your account has been changed, simply add a comment to your open complaint and the staff member assigned to your case will be notified.
My e-mail address has changed since first creating my CSO account and I do not have any open complaints/questions with the department, but may need to ask a question or file a complaint in the future. What do I do?
When you are ready to ask your new question, or file your new complaint simply create a new CSO account and use that new account when asking a question or filing a complaint.
What types of files are acceptable to upload?
The following file types (extensions) are accepted:
· Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
· Adobe PDF (.pdf)
· Images (.jpg, .jpeg, .png, .tif, .tiff)
· Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx)
· Powerpoint (.ppt, .pptx)
I’m trying to log-in to CSO, but I get an error message that says, “The login information you entered is incorrect”. What do I do?
More than likely, you did not enter your e-mail address exactly as you did when you completed your account registration. E-mail addresses in CSO are case sensitive. To verify how you registered your e-mail address:
· Review the “Portal Submission Acknowledgement” e-mail you received after you filed your complaint. The e-mail address you registered with us was provided in that acknowledgement exactly as it appeared in the To: line of the message. Go back to the CSO login in page and re-enter your e-mail address as submitted.
· If you do not have the “Portal Submission Acknowledgement” e-mail, contact our office at 1-877-881-6388 (press 3 and hold on the line to speak to bureau staff).
· E-mail us at email@example.com and request that a copy of your original complaint submission be sent to you. Your original submission will show how your e-mail address was registered in our system.