Back Email Article  Print Article

Commonwealth Employee Furlough Information

If you are facing furlough, the most important thing you can do is work closely with your agency’s human resource office to ensure that you have accurate information as it applies specifically to you.  Furloughed employees come from union, civil service, management, full-time, part-time and temporary positions.  Each situation has unique rights and responsibilities.

Your specific situation may not be like anyone else’s.  Please do not rely on word of mouth or generalities provided in the press to make decisions.  Get accurate information and work closely with your agency’s human resource professionals.

This site simply offers some of the information most commonly sought by furloughed employees. It is not exhaustive; many other documents may be helpful to you as well—your collective bargaining agreement, for example.

These pages reiterate information provided to you with your notice of furlough; there are no additional requirements or opportunities offered here.


You may apply for unemployment benefits online. You may also print a paper application from the website or get an application from your agency HR office.  Completed applications may be mailed/faxed to the address/phone number provided on the application.

Please do not call the service center unless that is the only method available to you.  If this is the case, call weekdays between 7:00 a.m. to 8:15 p.m.

888.313.7284 (888.334.4046 - TDD)

Your agency HR office will provide you with a copy of Form 1609 to assist you with your application. If you have been furloughed and have not received this form, please contact your agency HR office.

State Employee Assistance Program

You and your family remain eligible for SEAP for 6 months following your date of furlough. Services provided by SEAP are confidential. 24/7 help is available for stress, anxiety, depression, financial or legal concerns, relationship issues and more.

800.692.7459 (800.824.4306 - TDD)  (access code: Pennsylvania)

Cash, Medical & Food Assistance

In some cases the furlough may make you eligible for public benefits. For details, eligibility and applications:


Rapid Response

The Department of Labor & Industry has a number of resources available to assist displaced workers.  Rapid response meetings will be held to provide affected employees with information and resources and to answer questions about benefits. 

If you are unable to attend a meeting, you may contact your local PA CareerLink® office to learn about available services in your area. Click here to find a service location near you. Programs to be discussed might include reemployment and training services provided through the PA CareerLink® system, unemployment compensation benefits, and other community based supportive services.