Gather data on the evolution and history of the cemetery to ascertain its original founding and purpose, responsible parties, and all maps, plans, surveys, aerials, graphic and photographic images, and financial documents of the property over time. Burial records and registers of the cemetery should be located, when available for future reference.
The information should identify:
|Samples of Documentation from Woodlands Cemetery|
- background motivations of the founders (whether individuals, organization, corporation, church or ethnic group) of the cemetery,
- period in which the cemetery was active
- management organization for the cemetery
- aerial maps, cemetery plans, or arrangement of graves
- architect or landscape architect associated with the initial design, if there was one
- records of lot ownership, interment and location records
- biographical survey of the people buried in the cemetery
- identity of stone carvers or marker fabricators periods of expansion
The resulting compilation of material in written and graphic format should help identify the historic parameters of the origins of the cemetery, its significance, types of monument, citizens interred, losses and additions over time as seen or described through written documentation.