Flood Insurance

Flood damage can happen to anyone, no matter where their home, apartment or business is located. You can buy flood insurance even if your property is not located in a flood plain.

Flood insurance can be purchased through any property and casualty insurance agent licensed in the commonwealth to cover almost any building and its contents, including rental property and condominiums. Tenants can buy protection for their belongings as well.

It is important to be aware that a standard homeowner's or renter's policy does not cover damages resulting from a flood. And remember, there is a 30-day waiting period for flood insurance policies to become effective.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has many educational pieces to help consumers understand the basics of flood insurance, how to protect your home and what to do if, in fact, you are the victim of a flood. In most cases, the information on FEMA's Web site is available in English, Spanish and other languages.


Why You Need Flood Insurance  
Flood Preparation and Safety 
Flood Insurance Claims Handbook 
English | En EspaƱol  
Managing Your Flood Insurance Claim  

Fact Sheets:

Summary of Flood Coverage 
Flood Insurance - How it Works 
Protecting Communities from Floods 
Filing Your Flood Insurance Claim  

Other Helpful Information: