Antibiotics & Kids
Are you aware that colds, flu, and most sore throats and bronchitis are caused by viruses? Did you know that antibiotics do not help fight viruses? It’s true. Plus, taking antibiotics when you have a virus may do more harm than good. Taking antibiotics when they are not needed increases your risk of getting an infection later that resists antibiotic treatment.
If You Have a Cold or Flu, Antibiotics Won’t Work For You!
- Antibiotics kill bacteria, not viruses such as:
- Colds or flu;
- Most coughs and bronchitis;
- Sore throats not caused by strep; or
- Runny noses.
- Taking antibiotics for viral infections, such
as a cold, cough, the flu, or most bronchitis,
- Cure the infections;
- Keep other individuals from catching the illness; or
- Help you feel better.