Military Dependents and Families Education Support
Support for military dependents’ education was enhanced by the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children Act, Feb. 2, 2012, P.L. 42, No. 6. This act was signed into law on February 2, 2012. It authorizes the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to join the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children; providing for the form and enforcement of the compact; imposing additional powers and duties on the Governor, the Secretary of the Commonwealth and the compact commissioner; and establishing the State Council on Interstate Educational Opportunity for Military Children.
It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on children of military families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:
- Facilitating the timely enrollment of children of military families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of education records from the previous school district(s) or variations in entrance/age requirements.
- Facilitating the student placement process through which children of military families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment.
- Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic, and social activities
- Facilitating the on-time graduation of children of military families
- Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.
- Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military families under this compact.
- Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military children.
- Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.
|Membership of the State Council on Interstate Educational Opportunity for Military Children|
Appointed By the Governor:
- Compact Commissioner: Major General (ret) Daniel O’Neill
- Secretary of Education: Dr. Carolyn Dumaresq (represented by Karl Streckewald, PDE Liaison)
- Representative of the Executive Branch: Major General Wesley E. Craig, Pennsylvania Adjutant General
- Superintendent of district with high numbers of military children: Mr. Bryan McGraw, Northern Pocono School District
- Representative from a military installation in the state: Brigadier General Carol A. Eggert, Fort Indiantown Gap
- Representative of the School Boards Association: Mr. Stuart Knade, Esq.
Appointed By the Legislative Branch:
- One member each appointed by the:
- President Pro Temp of the Senate: To be announced
- Minority Leader of the Senate: To be announced
- Speaker of the House of Representatives: To be announced
- Minority Leader of the House of Representatives: To be announced
Appointed By the Council:
- Military Family Liaison: To be announced