To conduct a search for an individual who served in the War of 1812, start with Pennsylvania Archives , Sixth Series, Volumes 7-10. These volumes can be found in many libraries. The Pennsylvania Archives, Seventh Series, serves as an index to the Sixth Series. Materials found in this published source are derived from the militia accounts and papers found in the Archives collections. Original materials have been microfilmed, however, they are arranged by unit and are often difficult to research. The War of 1812 is best researched through the published Pennsylvania Archives , which gives a relatively complete view of an individual's service.
- War of 1812 Index of Soldiers (Images) (Record Group 2, microfilm roll #1)
- War of 1812 Militia Accounts, 1812-1838 (Record Group 2, microfilm rolls#23-29 cover the years 1812-1827)
- Records of Final Settlement with the United States, 1812-1838 (Record Group 2, microfilm rolls #3938-3939)
- Pension File, 1866 (1866-1879)-1896 (Record Group 2)
- Pennsylvania Archives, Sixth Series, Volumes VII-IX (microfilm rolls #3571-3573)
- Pennsylvania Archives, Seventh Series (name index to Sixth Series, microfilm rolls #3574-3575)