The following sample questions are similar to those found on the written test.
1. How many times during a shift should the nurse aide wash his/her hands?
- Before and after each contact with a resident
- At the beginning and end of the shift
- At least once before the shift begins
- Before and after serving meals
2. To clean a resident's bedside wash basin, the nurse aide should use:
- a clean towel
- a soiled washcloth
- steel wool
- toilet paper
3. If a nurse aide discovers a small fire in a resident's room, the aide should FIRST:
- sound the alarm
- contain the fire
- remove the resident
- extinguish the fire
4. To find out the resident's type of isolation, the nurse aide should ask the:
- resident's physician
- nurse in charge
- housekeeping department
5. Mrs. K's daughter recently died from cancer. Mrs. K now spends all of her time in her room, crying. What should the nurse aide tell Mrs. K?
- "Don't feel bad; your daughter is in peace now."
- "You should speak with your minister."
- "Stop acting this way."
- "I am here to listen if you want to talk."
6. The nurse in charge asks the nurse aide to encourage Mr. N to bathe himself. The nurse aide should:
- put supplies beside the bathtub and leave Mr. N's room
- ask Mr. N's roommate to keep an eye on Mr. N while he is in the bathtub
- give Mr. N his bathing supplies and stay with him to assist as necessary
- help Mr. N into the bathtub and leave Mr. N's room
7. When caring for a resident who is dying, the nurse aide MUST:
- not allow more than one visitor in the room at a time
- keep the room dark at all times
- watch the resident and report any changes in his condition
- wear gloves, mask, and shoe covers when giving personal care
8. Which of the following things should the nurse aide show FIRST to a resident who has just been admitted to the facility?
- How to adjust the bed
- How to use the call light
- How to adjust the room temperature
- Where the bath supplies are kept
9. The nurse aide finds a resident running around the bed and screaming loudly. The FIRST thing that the nurse should do is:
- call the police
- administer Thorazine
- call the nurse in charge
- contact the resident's family
10. If the nurse aide sees a rash on a resident's back, what should the nurse aide do?
- Give the resident a backrub
- Tell the nurse in charge about the rash
- Put cream on the rash and cover the area with gauze
- Put powder on the rash
11. The nurse aide is assigned to bathe a resident. What should the nurse aide do FIRST?
- Test the temperature of the water
- Help the resident to undress
- Tell the resident what the aide is going to do
- Close the door and windows
12. While brushing a resident's teeth, the nurse aide sees that the resident's gums are swollen and cracked. What should the nurse aide do FIRST?
- Rub the toothbrush lightly over the gums
- Report the observation to the nurse in charge
- Apply an antiseptic to the gums
- Check the roommate's gums to see if they are in the same condition
13. To keep a bedbound resident from getting a decubitis ulcer, the nurse aide should:
- keep the head of the bed raised
- tuck the sheets tightly around the resident's legs
- change the resident's position in bed often
- force the resident to drink a lot of fluids
14. A resident with diabetes needs to have his toenails cut. What should the nurse aide do?
- Cut the resident's toenails
- Tell the nurse in charge
- Ask the resident's family to cut his nails
- Make an appointment for the resident to see a podiatrist
15. When caring for a resident's hair, what should the nurse aide try FIRST if the hair is very tangled?
- Wet the tangled hair with alcohol before combing
- Cut out the tangles
- Comb one small section of hair at a time
- Call the nurse in charge
16. When giving a backrub to a resident, the nurse aide should:
- not touch bony areas of the resident's back
- rub bony areas of the back with a circular motion
- apply alcohol directly to the resident's back
- remove all sheets and blankets from the bed
17. A resident tells the nurse aide that his mouth is dry. The nurse aide knows that this resident is not allowed to eat or drink anything. The nurse aide should:
- give the resident a glass of ice chips
- tell the resident there is nothing the aide can do
- clean the resident's mouth with a moist swab or washcloth
- give the resident small sips of juice or water
18. The nurse aide should report to the nurse in charge if the resident's urine is:
19. The responsibility of the nurse aide once a resident has been pronounced dead is to:
- make sure the body is clean
- call the family
- leave the room
- give spiritual care
20. Mr. F has a splint on his leg. At bedtime he asks the nurse aide to take off the splint because he only needs it when he is up. The nurse aide should:
- take the splint off immediately
- ask Mr. F to leave the splint on until morning
- take the splint off only if she/he has been told to do so by the nurse in charge
- call Mr. F’s doctor to find out if she/he should remove the splint
21. When a resident's family comes to the facility to visit the resident, the nurse aide should bring the family to the:
- residents' lounge
- sun room
- waiting area
22. A resident's wife asks the nurse aide when her husband was last seen by a doctor. The nurse aide should tell her:
- to speak to the nurse in charge
- to call the doctor
- that the doctor visits her husband often
- that her husband has been doing fine and does not need a doctor
23. A nurse aide slaps a resident. This is an example of:
- verbal abuse
- physical abuse
24. A new resident regularly stays up very late reading. What should the nurse aide do?
- Respect the resident's right to decide how to spend his time
- Turn the resident's room light off a 9:00 p.m.
- Tell the nurse in charge that the resident needs a sleep medication
- Tell the resident that he cannot stay in the facility if he does not follow the rules
25. Mr. J, a resident with diabetes, does not eat his breakfast. What should the aide do?
- Tell the nurse in charge
- Offer Mr. J a midmorning snack
- Wait to see if Mr. J eats his lunch
- Call Mr. J's family
Answers to Nurse Aide Sample Exam
||21. A |
||22. A |