The Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (PHMC) provides a variety of internship opportunities to college students interested in pursuing a career in public history. Full and part-time internships are available by special arrangement throughout the year in a variety of PHMC programs, both at the agency's headquarters in Harrisburg and at PHMC administered historic sites and museums throughout the Commonwealth. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the work of the Commission and identify your own areas of interest. Further information about Commission programs is available on our Specific Internship Opportunities by Location page, or through our homepage at www.phmc.state.pa.us.
Applicants must be enrolled in a post secondary institution while serving their internship. Applicants are encouraged to seek credit for their internship.
Hours can be arranged to fit students' schedules. Harrisburg-based internships must be scheduled during regular working hours, i.e. Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Internships at PHMC field sites may include weekend hours.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. To apply, submit the following:
- Internship Application Form (PDF)
- An essay of approximately 500 words addressing the following:
- why you wish to be a PHMC intern
- why the program areas you have identified on your cover sheet are of most interest to you
- the background and experience, both academic and practical, that you bring to an internship
- how the internship will enhance your educational program and support your career goals
- Your most recent transcript (you do not need to submit an official copy)
- A current resume
In addition, please submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member who can assess your background, skills, and capabilities. The letter should be sent to the Internship Coordinator separately from you application.
Mail all application materials to:
Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission
300 North Street
Harrisburg, PA 17120-0024
Questions on any PHMC supported Internship Programs may be sent to email@example.com
Applications will be directed to appropriate staff members for review. If a staff member has a project suitable to the applicant's interests and experience, has the time to work with an intern, and can accommodate the intern's schedule, she or he will contact the applicant directly.