Approved Markers

2014

The following is a list of the approved state historical markers with the name of the marker, location and a brief description:

Bryden Horse Shoe Works
Catasauqua, Lehigh County
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, this plant supplied a vital product of this era and was one of the largest of its kind in the world. The business employed a patented technique that improved durability. Supplying horse shoes to the British government during the Boer War and afterward, it enjoyed a reputation for quality and received orders from all over the world.

Byberry Hall
Philadelphia County
Built by African American abolitionist Robert Purvis to serve as a meeting place and arena for discussion of anti-slavery topics. Many black and white abolitionist leaders of the time spoke here and urged support of the UGRR, protest of fugitive slave laws, and other related activism.

Commercial Radium Production
Pittsburgh, Allegheny County
The first commercial production of radium in the US was accomplished at James and Joseph Flannery's Standard Chemical Co. in 1913. In the following decade, it produced over one half of the world' supply of radium. In 1921 it produced 1 gram of radium to be presented to Marie Curie, who discovered radium, during her visit to this pioneering laboratory. NOTE: Recommended title is Standard Chemical Company with mention of the Flannerys and Curie in the text.

Eddie Gottlieb (1898-1979)
Philadelphia County
One of the founders of the National Basketball Assoc., Gottlieb was influential in the sport since its earliest years. Managed the dominant S.P.H.A.S. basketball team and led them to numerous championships. He helped run the international tour of the Harlem Globetrotters. A member of the NBA Rules Committee for 25 years, he introduced new rules to improve the game, and spent his lifetime advancing the sport of basketball.

Elfreth's Alley
Philadelphia County
Impeccably preserved vernacular neighborhood in the heart of Philadelphia - one of the nation's oldest and a National Historic Landmark. There have been extensive studies of these homes, their owners, and the area's transformation over its nearly 300 years of existence, shedding light on a very diverse working class community.

Enos Benner (1799 - 1860)
Marlborough Township, Montgomery County
Pennsylvania-German printer and publisher, Benner's Der Bauern Freund (The Farmer's Friend) was a widely read by German-speaking Americans in the early to mid-19th century. Published weekly from 1828-1858, and preserved in its entirety, it provides valuable contemporary accounts of the Jacksonian era.

Frank Cooper Craighead (1890-1982)
S. Middleton Township, Cumberland County
An accomplished naturalist, Craighead did numerous studies of insects and their impact on forests while Chief Forest Entomologist for the USDA. In 1950 he authored Insect Enemies of the Eastern Forest, which remains the definitive book on the subject. Following his retirement to PA, he assisted the state forestry dept. in dealing with insect infestations. NOTE: Panel recommends inclusion of his significant children on a Craighead Family Naturalists marker.

Fred McFeely Rogers (1928 - 2003)
Latrobe, Westmoreland County
Creator and host of the nationally acclaimed and long-running children's public television program, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Produced in Pittsburgh from 1968 through 2001, the program emphasized the community spirit Rogers experienced growing up in Latrobe. Rogers made significant contributions to early education and children's media.

George W. Crawford
Emlenton, Venango County
A native of Emlenton, PA and pioneer in natural gas production, transmission, and distribution. Crawford established the Columbia Gas and Electric Corp. in 1926, a model successful multi-state gas utility, and in the 1930s, the largest in the world. NOTE: Panel recommends inclusion of his father and brother, also influential in the early natural gas industry, on a Crawford Family marker.

Humphrey Marshall (1722 - 1801)
W. Bradford Township, Chester County
Considered the Father of American Dendrology, Marshall wrote the first and definitive book on American trees and shrubs in 1785. The book was widely cited in Europe. He also cultivated many American species and he exported them to European gardens, including that of Louis XVI of France and King George of England.

John Barry (1745 - 1803)
Philadelphia County
Along with John Paul Jones, considered the Father of the American Navy. Due to numerous naval victories, Barry was appointed Commodore by Gen. Washington during the American Revolution. As such he won the final battle at sea against the British in 1783. When the US Navy was created in 1794, Barry was chosen to lead the new department.

John J. McDermott (1891-1971)
Philadelphia County
At age 19, became the first American and youngest competitor to win the U.S. Open of golf in 1911, and repeated in 1912. Traditionally a British game, McDermott's wins helped to popularize the sport in the US. In the years following, the PGA was established, two additional golf majors emerged in the US, and American golfers dominated the US Open and achieved prominence in the world of golf.

Leopold Stokowski (1882 - 1977)
Philadelphia County
World renowned orchestra conductor, Stokowski directed the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra from 1912 - 1940. During his tenure, he developed a unique sound that came to be known as the "Philadelphia Sound." He adopted a seating plan used by most orchestras today. He is probably most famous for his collaboration and appearance on the film Fantasia.

Muhammed's Temple of Islam #12
Philadelphia County
This place of worship was the first Nation of Islam temple in PA. In its formative years, Malcolm X and Wallace Muhammad had active roles in its development. It played a pivotal role in conveying to Black Pennsylvanians a healthy sense of racial pride and self-worth that gave rise to the Black Nationalist Movement.

Old St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
Philadelphia County
The earliest permanent Catholic parish in PA, it was founded by English and German Jesuits in 1733. The first Catholic churches in NJ and DE had OSJ as their "mother church." OSJ missionaries helped found parishes in frontier regions of PA.

Ross Leffler School of Conservation
Brockway, Jefferson County
It is the site of the PA Game Commission's original training center for Game Protectors and Wildlife Conservation Officers. Claimed to be the first in the nation, this facility was established in 1931, and became a model for other states.

Sheppton Mine Disaster and Rescue
Sheppton, Schuylkill County
Rescue efforts as a result of a mine cave-in utilized, for the first time, a borehole technique that has become ubiquitous worldwide for similar mine disasters. The same technique was used at Quecreek and Chile in recent decades. The event prompted revisions to state mining regulations and to the federal Coal Mine Safety Act.

St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Croatian Church
Pittsburgh, Allegheny County
Completed in 1901, it was the first Croatian Catholic parish in the nation. St. Nicholas was impressive architecturally, in a modified Romanesque style featuring eastern European styled onion domes. It was demolished in 2013 following a vigorous yet unsuccessful preservation campaign.

Stuart Tank
Berwick, Columbia County
The Stuart Tank is a WWII tank built by the American Car and Foundry in Berwick, PA. It was a light tank first supplied to the British army and was the fastest tank of its day. The "shoot and scoot" tank tactic was pioneered on the Stuart Tank. From 1940-1944, over 15,000 Stuart Tanks were produced in Berwick.

Thomas A. Edison High School Honorable 64
Philadelphia County
The number 64 represents the 64 graduates of Philadelphia's Edison High School who fought and died in the Vietnam War. No other school in the nation lost so many. This poor community's loss gives perspective to the tragedy of the draft system – these young men had no options for waivers, served their country, and paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Wesley A.M.E. Zion Church
Philadelphia County
Wesley is the first AME Zion denomination in PA. In 1820, they split from the Bethel Church and soon after affiliated with New York City's Zion Church and several other black parishes to form the new A.M.E. Zion Church. The church was very active in the 19th century in abolitionist causes and race improvement events, and hosted nationally renowned African American leaders.

Albert C. Barnes (1872-1951)
Merion, Montgomery County
Doctor and businessman who amassed one of the most extensive collections of early 20th century art in the US. He also was an early supporter of African American artists and promoter of their art. At his death, his indenture on the operations of the Barnes Foundation led to a lengthy court battle regarding the relocation of his collection, which garnered national attention.

Anthony Palmer (1664-1749)
Philadelphia County
Provincial Governor of PA, 1748-49. Laid out the town Kensington, now part of Philadelphia, and during his term, Kensington was briefly the working capital. He organized troops along the Delaware to prevent Spanish pirates from plundering Philadelphia, orchestrated Indian treaties, and served as judge and master of chancery.

Dr. Elisha Kent Kane
Philadelphia County
Physician, scientist, and Arctic explorer, Kane contributed significantly to arctic study in the mid-19th century. His writings on the polar regions were very influential and his espousal of an "Open Polar Sea" was widely accepted. His explorations in Smith Sound, Kane Basin, and Kennedy Channel paved the way for Peary's North Pole expedition.

Lehigh - Lafayette Football Game
Easton, Northampton County
The most played college football rivalry in the US, the first game was played in 1884. The rivalry has been widely acknowledged and it has been reported in national publications such as the New York Times and Sports Illustrated. Their 150th game will be played in 2014 at Yankee Stadium in New York, NY.

Miracles on Maple Hill
Edinboro, Erie County
Regiment of the PA National Guard that was headquartered for many years at the Erie Armory, listed on the National Register. The PNG, or 28th Infantry Division, is the oldest continuous in the nation, and the 112th traces its roots to a Civil War volunteer regiment. The unit fought valiantly in both World Wars, and continues to serve the state and nation with distinction.

Pennsylvania National Guard – 112th Infantry Regiment
Erie, Erie County
Children's book by Newbery Award-winning author Virginia Sorensen, written during her husband's 6-year tenure at Edinboro College. The book describes the maple syrup industry of rural northwestern PA, an industry in which PA is ranked third in the nation. Sorensen based her characters on real farm families from Erie County.