Since 1946, Pennsylvanians have gathered to unveil, dedicate, and celebrate the installation of new historical markers. Virtually all of these ceremonies are public events, and you're invited to attend those held near where you live or whose subject matter interests you.
Visit this page often, as new events will be listed as soon as they are confirmed. Information is subject to change. Please E-mail email@example.com or phone (717) 705-4266 for information on the Historical Marker Program.
Pennsylvania Historical Marker Dedication Information
John C. Asbury
African American politician in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Asbury sponsored an early civil rights bill which, although unsuccessful, helped to secure his reputation as the most prominent black Republican in Pennsylvania. He gained national recognition as editor of the Odd Fellow's Journal, the publication of the largest black fraternal society at the turn of the 20th century.
1710 Christian St., Philadelphia
Tea Artistry of Philadelphia
Pennsylvania Bible Society
Founded in 1808, it is the first Bible Society in America. Founders included Benjamin Rush, Bishop Wm. White, and Robert Ralston. The forerunner of all US Bible societies, it was influential in others' formation. Its distribution of Bibles advanced the spread of literacy. The society was the first in the US to print Bibles with stereotyped plates.
One of three state-run tuberculosis sanatoriums in PA. It represents Pennsylvania's leadership in the prevention and treatment of tuberculosis in the US. Constructed on land donated by Andrew Carnegie in 1913, it took advantage of its high altitude to expose its patients to fresh, "therapeutic" air, considered vital in the treatment of TB.
Old Rt. 22 (Adm. Peary Hwy.), across from former SCI prison, just east of Cresson
Cresson San Reunion Marker Cmte.
Indian Hannah plaque
Originally dedicated in 1925 by the Pennsylvania Historical Commission, this bronze plaque commemorates the last surviving member of the Lenni-Lenape Indian tribe in Chester County. The plaque and several ton boulder on which it is mounted is being relocated from inside the grounds of Longwood Gardens to just outside its entrance where it will be publicly accessible.
Headed Women's Cmte. of the Council of Nat'l. Defense during WWI, and received a Distinguished Service Medal for her work. Also involved at the national level in temperance and women's suffrage movements.
Manchester Rd. & S Ridley Creek Rd., Media
Walter M. Golaski
A mechanical-bio-medical engineer, Golaski developed a knitted arterial prosthesis which was the first practical artificial blood vessel replacement. Originally rebuilding hosiery machines to enable the switch from silk to nylon in the knitting industry, he reapplied his knowledge to the medical field to produce a specialized machine to produce tightly knit Dacron arteries which revolutionized vascular replacement surgery.
An editor in the Negro Dept. of Billboard Magazine in the early 20th century, this African American businessman was a major influence in the promotion of black theatricals during the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s. He was also a well-regarded advisor on African American business activities, advocating the expansion of business and training opportunities for African Americans.
One of the founders of the National Basketball Assoc., Gottlieb was influential in the sport since its earliest years. He managed the dominant S.P.H.A.S. basketball team and led them to numerous championships. He helped run the international tour of the Harlem Globetrotters. A member of the NBA Rules Committee for 25 years, he introduced new rules to improve the game, and spent his lifetime advancing the sport of basketball.
South Philadelphia High School, S Broad St. at Snyder Ave., Philadelphia
This is the rededication of a revised version of the long-missing Clara Barton historical marker, originally dedicated in 1994. The American Red Cross, led by Barton, aided survivors after the devastating Johnstown Flood of 1889. This major disaster was one of the first challenges faced by the fledgling humanitarian organization.
Well documented story of the Underground Railroad network in the Johnstown area. White and Black abolitionists aided two wounded freedom seekers in their escape north through Cambria, Centre, and Clearfield Counties. This story brings to light lesser-known Underground Railroad activity in the central part of PA.
Father Frank was an accomplished naturalist, and did numerous studies of insects and their impact on forests while Chief Forest Entomologist for the USDA. In 1950 he authored Insect Enemies of the Eastern Forest, which remains the definitive book on the subject. Twin sons John and Frank, Jr. were nationally prominent conservationists. Daughter Jean Craighead George was a Newbery Medal winning author of My Side of the Mountain and Julie of the Wolves. All were inspired by their surroundings at their Cumberland County property.
Union Civil War General who spent his boyhood in Franklin, PA, he led his troops during the Maryland Campaign at the battles of Second Bull Run and Chantilly before being shot and killed at South Mountain, MD in 1862. He had a distinguished military career prior to the Civil War in the Mexican War, and led peacetime assignments such as building military roads, conducting surveys of several western states, and overseeing arsenals in Alabama and Kansas.
Pennsylvania-German printer and publisher, Benner's Der Bauern Freund (The Farmer's Friend) was a widely read by German-speaking Americans in the early to mid-19th century. Published weekly from 1828-1858, and preserved in its entirety, it provides valuable contemporary accounts of the Jacksonian era.