Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts, established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, is bringing quality half-day and full-day pre-kindergarten to 11,800 3 and 4 year olds in Pennsylvania.
PA Pre-K Counts is designed for children who:
- are between age 3 and until the entry age for kindergarten;
- are at risk of school failure and living in families earning up to 300 percent of the federal income poverty level (such as a family of four earning $67,050) who may also be English language learners of have special needs.
Act 45, establishing PA Pre-K Counts (PDF)
|Frequently Asked Questions|
Why does my child need to attend a high quality pre-kindergarten program?
Children who come to kindergarten without all the skills they need often stay behind and struggle in school. Quality pre-kindergarten prepares children for reading and math, but also for paying attention, following directions and getting along with others.
Pre-kindergarten gives children a chance to learn, become excited about school and be better students.
By enrolling your child in quality pre-kindergarten, your child has a better chance of being ready for kindergarten and grade school. This strong early start in pre-kindergarten means they have a better chance of doing well in school, going on to college or career training, and getting a good job. All of this can start by enrolling your child in a PA Pre-K Counts classroom!
What can I expect from a PA Pre-K Counts classroom?
Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts classrooms will:
- Have teachers with the education and expertise to teach young children;
- Use a curriculum that will help your child grow, academically and socially;
- Regularly review your child's progress and choose teaching and learning activities that are best for your child;
- Help you and your child adjust to pre-kindergarten and smoothly move on to kindergarten;
- Offer a small class size (20 students per one teacher and one aide) so that your child can have plenty of one-on-one time with the teachers.
By enrolling your child in PA Pre-K Counts, you can give your child a great start to a bright future.
How much does PA Pre-K Counts cost?
PA Pre-K Counts is free to families.*
* The portion of the day that is funded through Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts is free to families; the program may charge for additional portions of the day (wrap-around care, etc.)
How can I enroll my child in a PA Pre-K Counts classroom?
There are PA Pre-K Counts classrooms in many of Pennsylvania's 67 counties. To find one near you, check the listing of Listing of PA Pre-K Counts programs and contacts and contact the programs directly for enrollment information.