Benefit Claims

The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs works with its partners to ensure advocacy for all Pennsylvania veterans.

The Veteran Service Officer support system consists of United States Department of Veterans Affairs Accredited Representatives hosted by Veteran Service Organizations, County and State government. Most representatives are recognized by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary for preparation, presentation and prosecution of claims under laws administered by the USDVA.

Seeking benefits from the USDVA without proper representation can be difficult to say the least. Understanding the complex rules, laws and evidence requirements can be very technical and confusing. We strongly recommend that no veteran attempt to navigate this system without proper representation and assistance of an accredited representative or organization.
Veteran Service Officers serve as the veterans’ assigned representative at no cost to the veteran. They help identify what evidence is required in the claim process. They monitor the process of the claim through the adjudication process and intercede on the veteran’s behalf if problems arise. They review decisions made by the USDVA to ensure veterans receive the full benefits for which entitled.

County Veteran Service Officers All 67 counties in Pennsylvania are authorized a County Director of Veteran Affairs (CDVA) by county code. Most are accredited by the USDVA and either by the state service organization or a veteran service organization, or both. Most are active members of the Pennsylvania Association of County Directors of Veteran Affairs and many are also members of the National Association of County Veteran Service Officers. CDVA provide advocacy to veterans, service members and veteran families to assist them in any veteran program or benefit.

To locate your local County Director of Veteran Affairs
click here.

Chartered Veteran Service Organizations Many Veteran Service Organizations in Pennsylvania provide Veteran Service Officer Representatives who prepare, present and prosecute claims for benefits upon behalf of veterans and family members with the USDVA. You do not normally have to be a member of the specific organization to receive service from them. To contact an Accredited Representative click on the link below:

State Service Officers Pennsylvania operates its own Veteran Service Organization with three field offices. State Veteran Service Officers provide representation of claims submitted by CDVA service officers as well as individual veteran representation. The state service officer program works in harmony with the USDVA Regional Offices, Veteran Service Organizations and all veteran advocates assisting veterans to obtain all county, state and federal benefits.

Email A Question To the VA You can contact the Federal VA by email with a question concerning your claims or benefits.
Click here