Back Email Article  Print Article

Victim Rights Violation Complaint Form

Pennsylvania law provides that victims of crime are to be provided with certain rights as their case moves through the criminal or juvenile justice systems and that they be treated with respect and dignity.

Your rights are to be provided by professionals in various agencies such as law enforcement, the district attorney’s office, county and state correctional facilities, and the state department of mental health.

Your complaint will be reviewed by the Office of Victims’ Services (OVS) at the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency, 3101 North Front Street, Harrisburg, PA. Complaints may be handled by this office or, depending upon the complaint, it may be referred to another state agency for handling. This website was designed for victims of crime. We want to make it as easy as possible for victims of crime to understand the criminal and juvenile justice systems, what your rights are and who is responsible for providing those rights.

If you are a victim of crime and believe that one or more of your rights were not provided to you or that you were not treated with dignity and respect, you can tell us about it by completing and submitting the form below. If you decide to tell us what happened, there are two ways you can file a complaint. You can tell us what happened in detail, which would include your name, address, telephone number and information about the crime. Or you can just tell us what happened and in what county the crime occurred and not provide your name or any other contact information. We will use the information you provide to help individuals and agencies improve the way they provide rights and services to other victims of crime.

If you are comfortable with telling us your name and contact information, an OVS staff member will contact you. When the staff person calls you they will talk to you about what happened and obtain more information about the individual or agency that you believe violated your rights or did not treat you with respect and dignity. We will ask you for your permission to contact them and will do our best to resolve any issues concerning your complaint. Please note that once court proceedings have been completed we can ask for an explanation as to what happened but we cannot ask to have court proceedings redone.

It is okay for you to change your mind if you later decide you do not want to talk to us. When the OVS staff member calls, just tell them you have changed your mind and you do not want to provide any information and no further action will be taken.

We are sorry that you were a victim of crime and appreciate your willingness to share your concerns with us. You may also contact an advocate in a Victim Service Program for help or if you have any questions about the status of the criminal or juvenile case in which you were a victim.

To fill out a Complaint Form click the link below:

Victim Rights Complaint Form