(spelling and usage retained from original document)
Adams was formed from York County on Jan. 22, 1800. Named for President John Adams. First permanent settler was Andrew Schreiber in 1734 on the Conewago in Union Twp. First court was held June 1800 at Gettysburg. First Court House erected in 1829. First Judge – John C. Henry, First Sheriff – George Lanerils. First Church was Conewago Chapel, built 1740. First school was at Kreutz Kirche in Union Twp. About 1747. First road laid out 1742 – Marsh Creek Settlement to York. First newspaper was “The Sentinel” published Nov. 12, 1800. First railroad was Hanover & Littlestown RR opened in July 1838.Preceding the Civil War, “The Underground Railroad” ran through Adams County. Two well known stations were the Wright House and McAllisters Mills.
Manor of Maske – One of the Proprietary Manors reserved to Thomas and Richard Penn in 1741 containing 43,500 acres.
Mary Jemison – “The White Captive of the Genesee” a girl in Buchanan Valley was captured by Indians and spent her life among them.
Conewago Chapel – Here the Jesuits had a mission, the first in Penna., as early as 1720. In 1740 a log chapel was built and in 1797 a part of the present church was erected.
Gettysburg college opened as a preparatory school in 1827. Organized as a college in Nov. 1832. Lutheran Theological Seminary opened in 1824. Gettysburg National Military Park contains over 2,400 acres and is the site of the Battle of Gettysburg, fought on July 1-2-3, 1863. Here, at the dedication of the cemetery on Nov. 19, 1863, President Lincoln gave his immortal address.
Captain John Hanson Steelman, an Indian Trader and Interpreter was first white settler west of Susquehanna, settled in Liberty Twp. In 1712.
Historical Map Adams County
L.E. Wilt, 1942