Why do we need PAGIC?
PAGIC was organized to address the rapid growth of GIS within the public and private sector within Pennsylvania.
- Geographic data are essential to many governmental operations, yet they are expensive and time-consuming to produce.
- Geographic information is critical to promote economic development, improve our stewardship of natural resources, protect the environment, and promote sound land use planning.
- Many Commonwealth agencies, county and local government and regional planning agencies need the same basic geographic data for their operations and spend precious resources duplicating existing datasets.
- Commonwealth agencies and local governments need a reliable, standardized source of commonly needed and used geographic data.
- Improved efficiencies and economic savings can be achieved through a coordinated Commonwealth-wide infrastructure to support public and private sector applications of geospatial data in such areas as land use planning, transportation, community development, agriculture, emergency reasons, environmental management, education, historic preservation and information technology, and improved services to citizens.