Money Follows the Person Rebalancing Demonstration
What is the Money Follows the Person Rebalancing Demonstration (MFP)?
- MFP is a federal initiative that will provide assistance to people who live in institutions so they can return to their own communities to live independently.
- It is an opportunity for states, along with advocates, family members and loved ones to join together so individuals can live as independently as possible.
- It is an initiative that will bring more federal dollars into the state that can then be used to help additional people return to their communities. It will provide additional federal funding for Pennsylvania’s Home and Community Based Waiver Services (HCBS).
- It is historic because it is the largest single investment in Home and Community Based Long Term Living Services ever offered by the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- It is a major source of financial resources for state home and community based programs. The federal government will provide $4 billion to the states participating in the MFP initiative.
- Over 37,000 individuals from the 31 states participating in the MFP initiative are expected to move back to the community as a result of this initiative.
- The MFP initiative focuses on a number of different groups of people, including the elderly, individuals with physical disabilities, people with mental retardation or a developmental disability as well as people with mental illness.
What are the Goals and Objectives?
- To help states like Pennsylvania rebalance their long-term living systems so that people have a choice of where they live and receive services. This will be done by shifting funding from institutions to home and community based services.
- To assist people in moving out of institutions – where they do not want to be – and providing an opportunity for them to live in the community, close to family and friends.
- To eliminate barriers in service systems so that individuals receive services and supports in settings of their choice. The estimated number of Pennsylvanians who will be transitioned out of institutions during the course of the MFP initiative:
- From nursing facilities 979
- From Intermediate Care Facilities for Mental Retardation 40
- From state hospitals 9
To learn more about participation and services provided click here.
To get more information about Money Follows the Person contact the Long Term Living Helpline at 1-866-286-3636