Pennsylvania State Police History Continued...


The Commissioner created the Executive Service Section on Feb. 5, 1942.

Act 52 of April 28, 1943, changed the name of the organization from the Pennsylvania Motor Police to the Pennsylvania State Police. The Department also became responsible for enforcing the Uniform Firearms Act that year.

State Police were assigned to assist the Pennsylvania Aeronautics Commission in the investigation of aircraft accidents and aircraft violations in 1945. This function continued until 1972.

The year 1946 saw the first statewide radio telephone system installed and the elimination of "flag stops."

In 1947, new laws authorized the State Police to assist the Department of Revenue in collecting the state's cigarette tax and enforcing the Fuel Use Tax. The Department of Revenue provided the State Police with cruiser-type motor launches to patrol the Schuylkill and Delaware rivers and Lake Erie. Four men were assigned to each detail.

A 1949 law authorized the State Police to inspect dry cleaning and dyeing plants.

The State Police dissolved the terms "Private Second Class" and "Private First Class" in favor of "Private" in 1953. That rank continued until 1956, when the term was replaced by "Trooper." During the mid 1950s, the Retired State Police Association was formed.

On July 10, 1957, Act 360 provided for a mandatory retirement at 60 years of age, exclusive of the Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner.

Chrome badges were replaced by gold badges in a leather case in 1959. Washable summer shirts were issued. Straw campaign hats were introduced for summer wear. New officers' caps with gold braid and the "scrambled eggs" were issued. New black and gold patches also were issued.

A new State Police Academy in Hershey opened on March 2, 1960, and was officially dedicated on June 13, 1960. That same year saw the first combined Troop Commanders and District Commanders Conference.

On Sept. 1, 1961, the State Police officially began radar speed checks. That same year, the two­-year enlistment discharge paper and reenlistment process was discontinued.

On Oct. 1, 1963, married men were permitted to apply for the State Police for the first time. That same year also saw the Commissioner establish a Youth Aid Division.

All Troops dropped the district designation and were alphabetically designated on Jan. 1, 1965, as follows:

    * Troop A. Greensburg 
    * Troop B, Washington 
    * Troop C, Punxsutawney 
    * Troop D, Butler 
    * Troop E, Erie 
    * Troop F, Montoursville 
    * Troop G, Hollidaysburg 
    * Troop H, Harrisburg

* Troop J, Lancaster

* Troop K, Philadelphia

* Troop L, Reading

*Troop M, Bethlehem

*Troop N, Hazleton

*Troop P, Wyoming

*Troop R, Dunmore

*Troop T, Highspire

    

The radio teletype system was computerized on June 1, 1965.

On Oct. 5, 1967, Act 140 eliminated the two­-year enlistment process and provided for one enlistment until discharged or retired. That same year saw the establishment of an 18-­month probationary period for Cadets and Troopers.

Six Area Commands were created in January of 1968. Also that year, short sleeve shirts were issued for the first time. New small chevrons were issued for noncommissioned officers. In November 1968, the State Police Aviation Division was established.

A new troop, designated Troop S, was activated on Sept. 1, 1970, and given the responsibility of patrolling Pennsylvania's interstate road system. Early the following year, Area Command VI was established and given command over Troops S and T.

PSP History Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5