If you are an adult with a severe physical disability, the Independence Waiver may be able to help you live or remain in the community and remain as independent as possible.
To be eligible for the Independence Waiver you must:
- Be a Pennsylvania resident
- Be 18-60 - Individuals who are currently in the waiver prior to 7/1/2006 will age in place. Individuals age 60 and older will be referred to the Aging Waiver.
- Individuals who are physically disabled (but not with mental retardation or have a major mental disorder as a primary diagnosis, or who are ventilator dependent), who reside in a Nursing Facility (NF) or the community but who have been assessed to require services at the level of nursing facility level of care.
- In addition, the disability must result in substantial functional limitations in three or more of the following major life activities:
- Self-care, understanding and use of language, learning, mobility, self-direction and/or capacity for independent living.
- Meet the financial requirements as determined by your local County Assistance Office.
Services available may include:
- Assistive technology/specialized medical equipment and supplies
- Community integration services
- Community transition services
- Education services
- Environmental adaptations
- Extended state plan - visiting nurse, physical therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, and behavior therapy
- Non-medical transportation services
- Personal assistance services
- Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS)
- Respite services
- Service coordination
Long-Term Living Helpline Toll free 1-866-286-3636
Office of Long-Term Living
Bureau of Individual Support