2013 "LUCKY DOG ART CONTEST" Click here to view the winning artwork
Governor Tom Corbett and First Lady Susan Corbett invite Pennsylvania youth eighteen (18) years of age and under to participate in the “Lucky Dog Art Contest.” The canine themed art contest encourages young artists across the state to use their creativity to illustrate why dogs are “man’s best friend.”
Winning artwork will be put on display at the Governor’s Residence in Harrisburg on Sunday, September 8, 2013 as part of the final “Second Sunday” open house of the summer and will be featured on the First Lady’s website (www.firstlady.pa.gov).
A panel of five judges composed of leaders in the arts community and canine-related organizations will select the winning artwork in each age group.
The age groups include:
• Primary: Up to age 7 All entries must be accompanied by a “Parental Consent/Participation Form” and signed by a parent or guardian if the artist is under the age of eighteen (18). Artwork must be postmarked by August 23, 2013, and should be mailed to:
• Intermediate: Ages 8-10
• Middle School: Ages 11-13
• High School: Ages 14-18
Pennsylvania Office of the First Lady
“Lucky Dog Art Contest”
2035 North Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102
For questions regarding the “Lucky Dog Art Contest,” please contact the Office of the First Lady at 717-787-1965.
Signed Parental Consent Required for Entry.
No Purchase Necessary.
1. Content Description: The “Lucky Dog Art Contest” is part of “2nd Sundays” at the Governor’s Residence, a series of free, family-friendly events held each second Sunday from June through September. The purpose of the art contest is to illustrate why dogs are “man’s best friend”.
2. Technical Requirements: All artwork must be original, two-dimensional and submitted on paper that is 8.5” x 11” in size. Artists may use any medium, including but not limited to markers, paint, charcoal, pastels, and crayons. Computer generated graphics will not be accepted. Nothing three-dimensional (beans, noodles, dog biscuits, etc.) may extend off of the surface of the artwork. The name of the artist, age and telephone number must be printed legibly on the back of the artwork. Because the contest encourages individual creativity, help from another person(s) is not permitted. Only one artist will be recognized as the award recipient for each entry. All entries by minors must be submitted with a “Parental Consent/Participation Form” signed by a parent or guardian. Please note that artwork submitted for the contest will not be returned.
3. Contest Eligibility: All Pennsylvania youth eighteen (18) years of age and under are eligible to participate in the contest. Only one entry per person will be accepted.
4. Contest Deadlines: The contest will officially begin on Wednesday, July 31, 2013. All artwork must be postmarked by Friday, August 23, 2013.
5. How to Enter: All entries should be mailed to: Pennsylvania Office of the First Lady “Lucky Dog Art Contest” 2035 North Front Street Harrisburg, PA 17102
6. Criteria for Judging: All entries will be judged on originality, creativity and interpretation of the contest theme. Artwork will be grouped according to age. Generally, each age group will have one first place winner and one honorable mention. Age groups are as follows: Primary: Up to age 7 Middle School: Ages 11-13 Intermediate: Ages 8-10 High School: Ages 14-18 A panel of five judges comprised of leaders representing the arts community and canine-related organizations will select contest winners. All decisions of the judges are final.
7. Contest Winners The parent or guardian of contest winners in each age group will be notified by telephone and/or email on or before Tuesday, September 3, 2013. Contest winners will receive a Certificate of Recognition from Governor Tom Corbett and First Lady Susan Corbett. Winning artwork will be featured on First Lady Susan Corbett’s website. (www.firstlady.pa.gov) Winning artwork will be displayed at the “2nd Sundays” Open House at the Pennsylvania Governor’s Residence on Sunday, September 8, 2013, from 1-4 P.M. (Please note that the event is free, open to the public and reservations are not required.)
8. General Rules. By participating in the “Lucky Dog Art Contest,” participants agree to be bound by these contest rules. All material submitted becomes the sole property of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and will not be returned. This agreement is governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
9. Media Activity. By participating in this contest, participants agree and hereby grant the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and publicly display their contest submission for any purpose, such as, but not limited to, press and media communications, without any compensation. Participants agree to participate in any media or promotional activity regarding the contest and agree to the release of their contest entry form, including their personal information contained therein, and agree to waive any and all rights they may have to the confidential maintenance of this information, including any rights that might exist under local, state, federal law, rule, or order.
10. Limitation of Liability. By participating in this contest, participants, entrants and winners agree to release, indemnify, and hold harmless the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, its agencies, employees and agents from any liability whatsoever for any claims, costs, injuries, losses, damages, or expenses of any kind arising out of or in connection with the contest or with acceptance of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light).