Link opens UCP-26, Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Program in PDF format UCP- 26 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Program

Information and Instructions for Pennsylvania EUC Claimants

Office of UC Benefits
This pamphlet explains your rights and responsibilities for EUC under state and federal law. It will answer many questions you may have about EUC. This pamphlet is not, however, an official statement of law and does not have the force of law or regulations. Please read all information carefully.

What is EUC?

Emergency unemployment compensation, or EUC, is a temporary federal program that provides additional weeks of benefits to qualified individuals. This program is authorized under the Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2008, as amended.

How do I apply for EUC?

When you have exhausted your regular state UC benefits (your account balance is $0), the department will mail you an initial application for EUC. If you are still unemployed, you may complete and sign this form and return it to the UC service center by mail or fax. You should return the completed application immediately in order to minimize any interruption in your benefits. If you do not receive an application for EUC within seven days after you received the final payment on your regular UC claim, call the UC service center at 888-313-7284.

May I claim EUC if I am eligible for regular UC?

Generally no. You are not eligible for EUC if you are eligible for regular UC from Pennsylvania, another state, the federal government or Canada.
However, if your UC benefit year ends on or after July 24, 2010, while you are collecting benefits on the related EUC claim and you are financially eligible for a new regular UC claim, payments on the regular UC claim will be deferred until you exhaust your EUC benefits if the weekly benefit rate for the new UC claim is at least $100 or 25 percent less than your EUC weekly benefit amount.
Periodically, the department tests each EUC claimant for eligibility for regular UC. This may result in a brief delay in your payments.

Who is eligible for EUC?

Eligibility requirements for receipt of regular UC are also applicable to EUC. For example, you must be at least partially unemployed, able and available for suitable work, not disqualified for voluntarily leaving work, and not discharged for willful misconduct. You must report all work performed and gross wages earned during weeks claimed.
You must also meet the following requirements:
  • You had a regular UC claim with a benefit year that ended on or after May 1, 2007, OR you currently have a regular UC claim on which you received the maximum amount of benefits.
  • In the base year of your UC claim, you had total wages equal to or greater than one and a half times the amount of wages in your highest quarter.
  • You must be legally authorized to work in the United States if you are not a citizen of the United States.

How do I claim weeks of EUC?

You may use the Internet or Pennsylvania Teleclaims (PAT) if you have received a notice that you are financially eligible for EUC. Call PAT at 888-255-4728 from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time, Sunday through Friday, or visit and click on "File a Biweekly Claim," to file claim weeks using the Internet.

How much EUC can I receive and for how long?

Based on current federal law, the number of tiers available is dependent on the total unemployment rate, or TUR, in Pennsylvania. Each tier provides a different number of weeks of benefits, but all EUC benefits are paid at the same weekly benefit amount as the regular UC claim on which they are based, including any dependents' allowances. For each tier, you will receive a notice of financial determination that indicates your weekly and maximum amount of EUC. Please refer to your financial determination for the number of weeks you have been determined eligible to receive.
The first and last payable week of the EUC program and of each tier within the program is specified by federal law. As the law continued to be amended throughout the duration of the program, these dates have changed several times.
Please refer to our website for the current information about the program.

What about revised financial determinations?

If your financial determination is revised for any reason after you begin receiving your EUC benefits, the maximum number of weeks shown on the revised determination will include weeks from prior financial determinations. You must subtract the EUC you have already received from the maximum amount indicated on the revised determination to calculate the amount of new EUC that is added to your account.

Why should I keep a record of my benefits?

You should keep your own record of the benefits you receive so you will know how many weeks remain until your EUC benefits are exhausted.

How is EUC paid?

EUC is paid either by direct deposit or debit card.
If you signed up to receive your UC benefits by direct deposit within the last two years, your EUC payments also will be deposited directly into your bank account and you do not need to submit a new direct deposit application. If you received UC benefits most recently by debit card, your EUC payments will be made to you by debit card unless you choose direct deposit.


To maintain your eligibility for EUC, if you have not already registered while receiving your UC benefits, you must register for employment-search services after filing an application for EUC benefits. To register, go to the Pennsylvania JobGatewaySM website at Follow the instructions provided to create a Keystone ID (user name) and password using your complete Social Security Number and then provide the applicable information to complete your profile and job preferences. Once you have completed the registration process, you will receive a registration confirmation page.

Active Search for Work

You are required to conduct an active search for work and must keep a record of your work-search activities and provide the record to the department when requested to do so. A detailed description of the active search for work requirement will be mailed to you, along with a work-search record form (UC-304).

Reemployment Eligibility Assessment (REA)

You must participate in REA activities as a condition of eligibility for receipt of EUC benefits. This program will assist you in gaining reemployment. You will receive an REA notice by mail. The PA Careerlink® office will notify you when you are scheduled for the REA.

Need help finding a job?

Once you have registered for employment-search services, JobGatewaySM can provide you with access to over 200,000 online job postings which are refreshed each day. You can search for jobs based on criteria that you set or JobGatewaySM can recommend jobs to you based on your skills and qualifications. Create your résumé using one of JobGateway'sSM templates or simply upload your existing résumé to JobGatewaySM. You can make your résumé available to employers who are registered in the system and searching for candidates.

What are my appeal rights?

Appeal rights for EUC are the same as appeal rights for regular UC. Your appeal rights are explained in your PA UC Handbook.

What if I receive EUC to which I am not entitled?

You may be required to repay EUC that you received improperly. You may be disqualified from receiving benefits in the future and subject to criminal penalties if you commit fraud in order to receive EUC.

How will EUC affect TRA?

You cannot collect Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA) for a week if you are eligible to receive EUC; you must claim EUC instead of TRA. If you were claiming TRA benefits, your TRA benefits are suspended until you exhaust EUC. When you exhaust EUC, your eligibility to resume TRA will be determined.
While collecting EUC, covered workers for Trade Adjustment Assistance must continue to meet all deadlines, including the deadline to enroll in training or obtain or renew a training waiver. Contact your local PA CareerLink® office for information on training and waivers.
If you have questions on the effect of EUC on your TRA benefits, please call the UC service center at 888-313-7284, and ask to speak to a TRA representative.

Other questions?

Additional information is located on our website at, including:
  • Special filing instructions
  • Transitioning from tier to tier
  • Supplemental payments
You can also call the UC service center at 888-313-7284.
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
UCP-26 REV 12-12
Contact UsCommonwealth PortalContact the Web Team | Privacy PolicyDisclaimer
Copyright ©  Commonwealth of Pennsylvania