PennSERVE's mission is:
"To encourage, develop and facilitate volunteer and citizen community service which builds upon the talents, strengths, opportunities and challenges of people and communities in ways which enhance the quality of life for all citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."
PennSERVE is the umbrella agency for volunteerism and community service initiatives throughout the Commonwealth. PennSERVE is also the administrative entity charged with monitoring and overseeing the AmeriCorps*State programs in Pennsylvania. PennSERVE is responsible for providing on-going technical assistance support and training to its programs. By distributing AmeriCorps resources across the state, PennSERVE seeks to help citizens improve the quality of life in their communities through innovative and effective volunteer service programs.
State programs funded through PennSERVE, a number of local services are provided including:
- training hundreds of new volunteers
- tutoring and mentoring high risk youth
- organizing neighborhood watch organizations
- assisting crime victims
- helping seniors live independently
- cleaning up rivers and streams
- providing assistance to victims of natural disasters