School Health Consultants
This is a full-time professional nursing position in each of the Department’s six District Health Offices that is responsible for the district-wide development, implementation, coordination and evaluation of systems for coordinated school health programs and school nursing services. This individual coordinates all Health District program initiatives related to school health and is the point of contact within the District Health Office regarding school health. Responsibilities include the following:
- Identifies and prioritizes regional school health needs and works in collaboration with local education agencies (LEAs-intermediate units, school districts, charter schools, non-public schools), other public health agencies and communities to address those needs.
- Collaborates and coordinates with other Health Department staff (e.g. family health,
environmental health, chronic & communicable disease) in addressing school district health program issues.
- Coordinates the implementation of Departmental program initiatives that benefit the school age population and provides assistance to LEAs to resolve any problems encountered during implementation.
- Monitors school district compliance with relevant statutes and regulations pertaining to school health and recommends improvements as needed.
- Assesses the education and training needs of school district school health personnel and
facilitates and/or provides localized and regional informational and training opportunities
within the Health District.
- Provides information, consultation, and technical assistance to school districts, parents and the community at large regarding matters pertaining to school health programs and services, including a safe and healthy school environment.
- Maintains ongoing communication with LEAs regarding requirements, policies, initiatives, and projects of the Department of Health that affect school health programs.
- Works with LEAs in developing quality assurance programs for the school health program.
- Assists the Department of Health in developing and updating school health manuals/guidelines, standardized reporting forms, and data collection instruments.
- Promotes the development of School Health Advisory Councils, regionally or per school
district, and fosters involvement of local health departments.
- Works with LEAs and the community to identify and obtain resources to enhance and improve school health programs.
To contact your Regional School Health Consultant, please click here.
For assistance from other public health specialists call 1-877-PA HEALTH.