Pittsburgh Public Office
Division of Vital Records
411 7th Avenue, Suite 360
Pittsburgh, PA 15219-1973
- Office hours 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding State holidays.
- For walk-in services, please allow two days processing time for standard requests. Two day processing time is not available for genealogical requests or for certificate of birth resulting in stillbirth requests.
The Pittsburgh office maintains only death certificates for the city of Pittsburgh from 2004 to the present. Requests for other death certificates will be forwarded to the central office in New Castle, Pennsylvania for processing.
- You will be required to complete an application for certified copy of a birth or death certificate. You may download Adobe Acrobat Reader to print the application.
- You must present valid government issued photo identification. Examples of acceptable identification are a state issued driver's license or non-driver photo ID with requestor's name and current address, etc. If you do not have acceptable photo identification, please follow this simple set of instructions in order to obtain a birth certificate.
- There is a $10 fee for each certified copy of birth and $9.00 for each certified copy of death. Check or money order should be made payable to Vital Records. No fee may be required for certificates of Armed Forces members and their dependents.
- We suggest you review the list of Who May Request a Birth or Death Certificate to determine if you are eligible to apply for a certified copy.
You can obtain driving directions to this office through Directions/Map.
Directions from the East
Travel on Route I-376 West / US-22 West. Take the Grant Street exit, EXIT 1C, on the left. Turn slight right on Grant Street. Turn left on 7th Avenue. Vital Records is located in Suite 360 at 411 7th Avenue on the right.
Directions from the West
Route 22/30 and/or Parkway West
Travel on Route US-22 East/ US-30 East via the ramp on the left toward Pittsburgh. Merge onto US-22 East / US-30 East toward I-79 South / Pittsburgh / I-376 East. US-22 East / US 30 East becomes I-279 North. Take the Boulevard of Allies / Liberty Avenue, EXIT 6B, toward Mellon Arena. Take the Liberty Avenue ramp toward Mellon Arena. Stay straight to proceed onto Liberty Ave. Turn slight right onto 7th Avenue. Vital Records is located in Suite 360 at 411 7th Avenue on the left.
Directions from the North
Travel on I-79 South toward Pittsburgh. Keep left to proceed on I-279 South via EXIT 72 toward Pittsburgh. Merge onto I-579 South via EXIT 8A toward Veterans Bridge. Take the 7th Avenue EXIT toward 6th Avenue. Take the 7th Avenue ramp toward Convention Center. Turn right onto 7th Avenue. Vital Records is located in Suite 360 at 411 7th Avenue on the right.
Directions from the South
Travel on I-76 North via EXIT 18 toward Pittsburgh. Merge onto I-376 East / US-22 East / US-30 East via EXIT 59A toward Pittsburgh. I-376 East / US-22 East / US-30 East becomes I-279 North. Take the Boulevard of the Allies / Liberty Avenue, EXIT 6B toward Mellon Arena. Take the Liberty Avenue ramp toward Mellon Arena. Stay straight to proceed onto Liberty Ave. Turn slight right onto 7th Avenue. Vital Records is located in Suite 360 at 411 7th Avenue on the left.