Account Login - Access your personal SERS account

Eligibility for Disability Retirement

Most SERS members must have at least five years of Credited Service to apply for a Disability Retirement Benefit. State Police and enforcement officers have no such Disability Retirement minimum service requirement. Only active, contributing members or those on leave without pay may apply for a Disability Retirement. You must establish that you are physically or mentally incapable of performing your job duties for the Board to grant your Disability Retirement application. You must submit evidence of your disability with your application. Independent Medical Examiners will review all evidence you submit and recommend that the Board either grant a permanent or temporary disability, or deny your application. The Board will base its decision upon the recommendation of the Medical Examiners.

For more information about this topic see:
     How to Apply for a Disability Retirement (SERS-152)

Last published: 08/10/2011 12:53 PM