Non-driver Identification Cards



Because most establishments require a driver's license for identification, an official Commonwealth of Pennsylvania identification card can be obtained by you if you are a non-driver.  Similar in appearance to a driver's license, the official commonwealth identification card is accepted as a bona fide form of personal identification.


To obtain a non-driver identification card, you may:


  • Surrender your driving privileges for medical reasons simply by completing Form DL-54a and mailing it to the address listed on the form--The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) will then mail you a new non-driver photo identification card; or
  • Form DL-54a to the nearest Driver License Center.



Any Pennsylvania driver who voluntarily surrenders his/her driver’s license for medical reasons can obtain a photo ID free of charge. For all others, including those who never received a license, there is a $10 fee assessed to you.




The Bureau of Driver Licensing

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

P.O. Box 68682

Harrisburg, PA 17106

Telephone: (800) 932-4600


Long-Term Living Helpline: 1-866-286-3636